A: First decide if you want to major in theatre or musical theatre. Do you want a BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) or a BA? Do you want a school close to home, making it easier to audition while in school, especially if you live close to New York City or Los Angeles? After you make these decisions, you are ready to explore! Here are some great schools to look into:
GREAT THEATRICAL/MUSIC PROGRAMS:
- Tisch School of the Arts at NYU
- Marymount Manhattan College
- Rutgers, The State University of NJ
- Ithaca College
- Emerson College
- Syracuse University
- North Carolina School for the Arts
- University of Michigan
- Muhlenberg College
- Brooklyn College
If you have the opportunity to audition at these schools, Congratulations! Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Find out the school’s auditioning requirements.
- Choose age-appropriate material.
- Choose a character to which your child can relate.
- DON’T disrobe!
- Know how many songs you need to prepare.
- Know whether you need a classical piece. (Know what is considered “classical.”)
- Know how many minutes each piece has to be.
- Work with someone on your pieces for practice.
- Be prepared!